There’s something about a hot bowl of soup that makes everything right in the world. And make it a bowl of Colombian Sancocho and well life is absolutely supreme. My mami has been making sancocho for as long as I can remember. In fact I have a ton of great memories associated with this flavorful soup. With mami being so far away in Florida, I haven’t had this delicious dish in some time. So when I was asked to try Mazola® Sobrecitos®, I knew exactly which of mami’s recipe I would recreate.
Mazola® has recently introduced Sobrecitos® bouillon packets, which are jammed packed with flavor to add to any of your family favorite recipes. Sobrecitos® dissolve instantly and completely, unlike traditional bouillon cubes. Great for busy evenings, when getting a quick, healthy and delicious meal on the table is must. Another great feature is that one Sobrecito® = one cube. So there’s no additional measuring needed. Easy Peasy!
- In a pre-heated caldero on low to medium heat, combine the olive oil, sobrecitos, garlic, sofrito, beef cubes, stir and allow to cook until beef begins to brown.
- In the interim season the chicken legs with the adobo and garlic powder.
- Fold in chicken, green peppers, half of the cilantro and black pepper. Stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the corn, plantains, yucca, chayote and potatoes. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and remaining cilantro, cook for an additional 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve in large soup bowls, dividing the chicken and veggies evenly. Serves 6-8.
- You can also serve alongside white rice and avocado.
Sancocho isn’t one of those 1-2-3 kind of meals, but so worth the time and effort. I made enough for my family to enjoy and freeze. Yes, you read right freeze. So, now we can easily re-heat the deliciousness any day of the week. By the way my sancocho came out absolutely delightful with the help of Mazola® Sobrecitos®.
While I was at it, I decided to use a Sobrecitos® in the crock pot. As of late, I’ve been tossing 2 to 3 pieces of seasoned chicken breast in the crock pot, along with chicken stock. I typically shred the chicken and used it throughout the week for lunch, in sandwiches or wraps. This time around I used a sobrecito in place of the chicken stock, added a cup of water and forgot about it for about four hours. I skipped adding any additional seasoning to chicken, because of the great flavor offered in the Sobrecitos®. Thus far, I made chicken and cheese quesadillas and they were YUM, YUM, YUM!
Ready to WIN IT?
One Lucky reader will win one (1) $25 Gift Card to Walmart, along with a box of Mazola® Sobrecitos®.
- To enter, please visit www.facebook.com/MazolaEspanol and leave a comment below with your favorite recipe.
- Like Mazola Español on Facebook
- Follow Life with My Pollitos by feed reader or email
- Like Life with My Pollitos on Facebook (5 entries)
Make sure to leave a comment below for each entry.
Good Luck and Buen Provecho!
Open to US Residents, 18 and over. Winner will be selected at random and announced on August 6, 2012.